Monday, January 25, 2010

So after a not-so-very-good week, I thought that 2010 really needed to step it up a notch. The week was full of sickness and death and stress and hurt feelings, but was countered with hikes and walks and crazy stores and good food and funny people and my wonderful friends who help me build a nice comfortable resting place for myself even when they are scattered across the world. And The Office.

Then this morning, 3 minor miracles happened. (Although technically one happened yesterday.)

1) I woke up at 7:30 am. That's right. I did not sleep until 9 or 10. I did not wake up at 7:30 and then go back to sleep for hours. I woke up at 7:30 am and did my morning pages. (Holla back at Robyn and "our" Andrew (which is how I differentiate between the Andrew from home and the Andrew in India).) And got dressed and went off to have breakfast before 10 am. w00t.

2) I fixed my computer. Right now, I am writing this on battery. That's right, I've been welcomed into the new decade - I am WIRELESS! I got a new computer for my birthday and while it is smaller and more travel friendly, I have also wanted to chuck it off the balcony every single day that I have been in India. Or at least 3 times a week. It's been slow and iTunes has not been playing my Office episodes properly and it never worked unless it was plugged in. Sometimes it would just stop working or do something I didn't tell it to. I've shocked myself on my earphone jack more times since I've been in India than I ever have in my whole life. (I don't know why the earphone jack was electrified, but whenever I plugged it in at Hindu Singhji's, that's what happened.) Then this morning, I explored the depths of my computers settings and I fixed it. While this is small and relatively insignificant, it makes my life much less stressful and when it happened, I was just in awe. Finally, my computer and I have made peace.

So before I ate breakfast, two wonderful minor miracles had already happened and I knew that there was the possibility of a third. (It just fits better to have 3 great things than 2.) But I didn't want to dwell on this third thing because I didn't want to jinx anything. We're not a little-stitious, we are superstitious when it comes to this stuff.

But then I got a text from Andrew announcing the good news and I started jumping up and down and squealing which meant I then had to explain to my host mom in Hindi what had happened. But why don't I just explain it here first.

3) Couldn't you have guessed? The Saints are going to the Superbowl! Now, for those of you unaware of the Saints history, they have been in existence for around 50 years and they have never been to the Superbowl. Let me repeat, NEVER. For those of you who are not well-acquainted with my family: We hail from Louisiana. The Saints are based in New Orleans. If you have never been to Louisiana or witnessed first hand the mania that SEC football means to these people, then you cannot understand the joy of Saints fans with this victory. I'm pretty sure that for the next 2 weeks my Grandy and my Aunt Joyce will answer the phone and end all conversations with "Geaux Saints!" (That's right - Geaux (pronounced "go") - in homage to our French-Cajun ancestory.) So, the Saints are going to the Superbowl which is a fairly big miracle. Also, it's Mardi Gras season in New Orleans. If anyone likes to party, you should just hop on a plane and you'll land smack dab in the middle of one.

So back to me telling my host mom about it: Yesterday I bought an English to Hindi dictionary and I thought 'What a great time to use it!' And I looked up the word for sport and there were about 10. So I picked one that I thought was right and was too excited to look up the word "win" and conjugate it to the past tense, so instead I just waved my hands, squealed, and jumped up and down. She got the message.

Then Andrew and I spent the rest of the day trying to download highlights for the game. It took all day but we finally got one to load and it was a great game. I'm really surprised that no one in my family had any heart problems yesterday.

So, in conclusion, way to go 2010. Thank you for stepping it up. Let's keep the positivity coming and Geaux Saints!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home