The Potty
Many worries I received before leaving for India had to do with the bathroom situation. So here is the dealiyo when it comes to the potty but it may be a little uncomfortable for some readers.
There are many different potty styles in India:
- The Squat Toilet: which is a hole in the ground with basin around it. The name is self-explanatory. I think it’s comfortable to pee in this position but I’ve never and don’t intend to try #2. It seems awkward. There is a brush to push everything into the hole and then you rinse it with water.
- The Western Toilet with a Squat Platform on Top: This is a nice compromise between the Western style toilet and the traditional Squat Toilet. You get the benefits of the bowl of water and the benefits of the squatting position. While many Westerners think that the Indians’ toilets are dirty but some Indians think the same thing of Western toilets. You get so many germs just by sitting on the toilet seat and that’s why this version of the toilet was developed, I think. You can still squat on your feet and avoid contracting germs. In addition, I’ve read of benefits of going to the bathroom in the squatting position because it is more “natural.” For instance, I have read that this position can help prevent colon cancer. I think this is very interesting and pertinent to my family since my grandfather died of colon cancer. It has something to do with completely emptying the bowels. You can look it up yourself if you would like more information.
- The Western Toilet: Self-explanatory. The same as we have in the US.
- The Side of a Wall or Fence: This is by far the most confusing toilet experience I have had in India. I go back and forth in my head between thinking it’s disgusting to see so many men relieving themselves in public and then thinking, “Well, hey, it’s unhealthy to hold it so at least they can get it all out.” But then I go back to thinking “Well, why can’t they just hold it? Jeez.” But then I go back to, “Maybe we’re just more uptight and I’m putting my Western ideas about politeness onto Indian culture when they don’t apparently think it’s rude to do this in public and instead think about what is healthier.” I mean who are Westerners to decide what is and isn’t proper? In villages they don’t even have bathrooms so they have to relieve themselves on the outskirts of it/ in public because they have nowhere else to do it. Despite these internal arguments, I just straight up think that the peeing on the side of the road thing is sexist. I have NEVER seen a woman relieve herself on the side of the road, which leads me to believe that it’s culturally appropriate for men to do so and not for women. As far as I know women are far more inclined to UTIs than men and in the US the stereotype is that women have to go to the bathroom more often than men. So where is the public bathroom for women? Maybe I just haven’t found it yet. It’s unfair that men can just whip it out and women have to go through a whole process. It results in longer lines at the bathroom and in women not being able to pee on the side of the road. Can’t help biology but can we at least give women an equal opportunity?
- The Public Urinal Stand: This makes me even more incensed about the sexism found in peeing in public. To prevent men from peeing on the side of the street, you find urinal stalls located in different parts of the city. Surprisingly, they smell horrible so you should never walk past them. They’re like phone booths but with two small swinging doors to go in. As I’ve said, I haven’t seen a public restroom for women. Do we have to start peeing on the side of the road to get one of these bad boys for ourselves?
I mean I know that women have bigger fish to fry here so it’s not that big of deal. But it still bugs me.
Finally I come to the Greatest Toilet I’ve Ever Used:
In my opinion, India has come up with the greatest toilet. Ever. It is a basic western toilet with an attached bidet. You get all the benefits of the Western toilet and the benefits of the French bidet but without all the hassle. The bidets in Europe have always intimidated me. I don’t need a whole fountain complete with a light show to get clean and the fact that it’s complete separate from the toilet results in awkwardness. I have questions you know, like how are you supposed to get from the toilet to the bidet? The amount of water frightens me. I’ve just found them inconvenient and have never used them.
But in India, you get a nice steady stream of water to clean yourself with. You don’t have to do a hop, skip, and a jump to get to your next step. You just turn on the water. And it is women friendly. Everyone wins! So for those coming to visit me and are worried about this situation, have no fear! You may get to experience the wonderful Western Toilet & Bidet Combination and that alone is something to look forward to during your trip to India.
Toilet Paper vs. Water: Compromise, again, is the answer.
Westerners don’t understand how you can use the bathroom without toilet paper. As a girl, I was initially very confused at this process. As Ellen points out in “The Beginning” we learn through mimicry. Here is what she says as she questions whether or not we still need directions on the back of a shampoo bottle:
“Who’s shampooing for the first time? Anybody? And if you are, you can’t read anyway! You’re like some wild crazy ape person that’s been raised in the wild by monkeys or wolves or something nurturing that would raise you. Reptiles won’t raise you. They don’t even raise their own young. Don’t expect them to raise you. Those monitor lizards don’t even look that dangerous but those tails will whip around, slap you in the head, and break your neck. So if you’re in the wild, try to catch the eye of a monkey or a wolf or something like that. … So say some hikers find you, you know? That’s a big find, if they find a crazy wild ape person. They’re gonna bring you back to civilization certainly. But they’re not just going to throw you in the shower and expect you to know how to shampoo your head! They’re going to shampoo your head for you. And then you would mimic that. That’s how you survived so long in the wild, by mimicking things.”
Well, as a 23 year old female, I have no one to mimic and that was a problem. There are also no good websites that I could find. But anyway, conversely many Indians don’t understand how wiping yourself with a dry wad of toilet paper can be comfortable or leave one clean. After much time and trial and error, I have discovered how to use the water method. It’s fine for Rajasthan. I’m in a desert. Everything dries quickly. If I were in New Orleans or Costa Rica, I don’t think the water method would be nearly as sustainable since nothing dries there. I’m interested to see how it works in humid places in India. Water gets everywhere. Well, it gets on the toilet. It’s hard not to get it on your clothes but because I wear kurtas (long shirts) and shalwar kameezes no one can see and it all evaporates in a few minutes. I would not opt for this method in the US because I don’t want to look like I wet my pants and stay wet for hours. No thank you.
But on the other hand, I agree, dry toilet paper isn’t exactly a perfect solution. It’s not the most comfortable thing ever. And that’s why someone invented wet wipes – the flushable kind. Wet and a wipe. Voila! In sum, I’m learning that generally if we take a little from each culture, then we end up with better solutions. Maybe not all the time. But my bathroom adventures show multi-culturalism at its best.
(PS Women use their hands. It’s thorough and awkward at first. Then you wash your hands. Don’t get me started with the lack of soap. I don’t want to talk about it. Bring hand sanitizer if you come to India!)

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home